Spicy Potato Fry
(Aloo Fry, Urulai Kilangu Varuval, Urulakizhangu Mezhukkupuratti)
(You can use any type of potato – red, russet, yukon gold, baby potatoes, purple potatoes etc.)
Chilly Powder – 1-3 tsp (to suit your taste)
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2-3 tblsp
Onion – 1/4 (sliced) – You can also use 3-4 whole pearl onions instead
Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp (or 1 clove garlic crushed)
Crushed Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Fennel Powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp
Crushed Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 spring (Chopped)
Cashew nuts – 1-2 tblsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
1. Wash the potatoes and peel them. You can even leave the skin on.
2. Cut the potatoes into uniform sized pieces. You can cut it into small cubes, long stripes or medium sized chunks.
3. Partially boil the potatoes in the microwave or stovetop. This step is optional but it speeds up the frying process.
4. Take the potato pieces in a bowl and mix the spices with it.
A basic potato fry can be made with just chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt. But I like to spice it up with some garam masala, crushed cumin, fennel powder and garlic powder. If you do not have all these spices, you can also add 2-3 tsp of any brand chicken masala powder.
5. Heat oil in a non stick pan or kadai. Splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
6. If you are adding onions and cashew nuts, add it at this time and fry for a minute. If not just proceed.
7. Add the spice rubbed potato pices. Keep the heat on medium high and start frying.
8. Stir fry till all the pieces are completely cooked and the potatoes become little crispy.
– You can add any chopped vegetable with the partially cooked potatoes and fry it. This not only makes a good side dish for chappattis but is also an interesting way of including unpleasant vegetables into the diet. The addition of potatoes takes the vegetables to a whole new level and makes it very delectable. Some of the combinations that I have tried are potato capsicum fry, potato broccoli fry, potato beans fry, potato corn fry, potato with fenugreek leaves (aloo methi), potato carrot fry, potato radish fry, potato beetroot fry, potato knolkhol fry, potato soya fry, potato mushroom fry, potato turnip fry and potato cauliflower fry. The possibilities are endless.
source: Spicy Potato Fry