- Onions1 medium
- Chili powder1/2 Tablespoons
- Red Chilis3
- fenugreek seeds1/2 Teaspoons
- Turmeric powder1 Teaspoons
- Urid dal1 Teaspoons
- Yogurt/curd3 Tablespoons
- Curry leaves5-10
- Mustard seed1 Teaspoons
- Oil2 Tablespoons
- SaltAs per taste
- Clean by wiping the okra. Chop off the stems at both ends. Slice round medium sized
- Pour oil in a large frying pan. Add red chilis(broken), fenugreek seeds, urid dal and mustard seeds. Fry till urid dal becomes brown and mustard seeds pop
- Add onions and fry first. Now add chili powder, turmeric and salt and fry well into a paste.
- Add the okra and fry well, stir gently without breaking the pieces, till okra is cooked. You can add the yogurt now and mix it gently. Turn off the heat
- Serve it hot with rice, sambar or with any as per your taste.
Vendakai in Tamil recipe and in America we call it okra. They are pretty good here but are expensive compared other vegetables. Select tender and small okra. They are easy to cook and good to taste.
It is better not to wash or soak in water as it tends to become mushy and sticky to cook or eat. Just wipe them clean with a dry cloth or paper towel.