- Take rice and dal in a vessel and dry roast.
- When the dal turns into a reddish brown color, turn off the stove.
- Wash the roasted rice and dal.
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add asafoetida, toor dal, urad dal, channa dal, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add water when the dals turn golden brown.
- Add salt.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add the washed rice and dal and close the pressure pan. Cook for one whistle or 10 minutes.
- Rice is cooked.Fluff it with a spatula.
- Healthy usili upma ready. You can have with mango chutney.