- Rice4 Cups
- Water8 Cups
- Tamarind paste2 Tablespoons
- Whole red chillies4 medium size
- Mustard seeds1/4 Teaspoons
- Ulath daal1/2 Teaspoons
- Asefoditda1/4 Teaspoons
- Oil1 Cups
- Turmeric1/2 Tablespoons
- Salt1 Tablespoons
- Wash the rice well and steam it in the Rice Cooker reducing ½ a cup of water that you would normally add for regular white steamed rice
- Once done open the cooker and take the rice out in a flat platter and let it cool
- On the stove use a large hollow and wide pan and add ½ cup oil on medium heat and season with mustard seeds, ulath daal and whole red chillies frying them till the mustard seeds pop then pour in the tamarind paste adding the turmeric powder and salt
- Let it boil a little Now add the already cooked and cooled rice to the pan with the fried ingredients and mix so all the ingredients are well blended in the rice and serve with meat gravy or egg gravy
- You can also serve with yogurt patchadi consisting of onions, tomatoes green chili and cilantro or just plain coconut chutney
- Tamil Recipes Puli Sadham is our picnic special.
- You can smell the Tamarind rice even before it's done a block away!
- Some important factors will determine the quality of Tamarind rice you cook.