- Mutton (preferably with bones)1lb
- Green Chilies8
- Cilantro1/2 bunch
- Coriander Powder1 Teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder1/2 Teaspoons
- Ginger and Garlic paste2 Teaspoons
- Cinnamon1 piece
- Cloves1 piece
- Salt1 Tablespoons
- Grind the first four ingredients
- In a pan heat oil and season with cinnamon and clove.
- Add the onion and tomato and fry just a little bit.(do not let it brown)
- Add the ground ingredients and fry well with the mutton pieces so the ingredients can get into the mutton for 5 minutes
- add 1 cup water, close and boil till the mutton is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and add a few drops of fresh lemon juice and serve
- TIP:Do not let overcook the mutton it will lose flavor and taste
Tamil Recipe mutton korma is also called the green or white kozhumbu. Our family does the coconut version also. Just add 1/4 cup ground coconut flakes to the recipe. This is an excellent dish with rice, briyani, fried rice and for Chappatis, Paratas, Idliy and Dosa. Indian mutton korma with bones add an extra spike to the flavor. We love to chew and bite the bones! Bones add an extra spike to the flavor to korma recipe
The lamb or goat mutton meat will make all the difference in taste and flavor for an Indian mutton korma recipe. Try to get the goat meat from the halal or mexican shops (they call it chevo). It is commonly known as "Kosher" meat.Believe me,goat is the closest to Indian mutton you will ever come to in USA!