- Mutton rib bones1 lb
- Turmeric Powder1/4 Teaspoons
- Cumin Powder1 Teaspoons
- Ground Black Pepper2 Teaspoons
- salt1 Tablespoons
- Clean and Wash the mutton pieces well and dry them
- In a blender blend /grind the cumin and black pepper together. Marinate the mutton with the blended ingredients, turmeric powder and salt
- After an hour add them to a large pan, add a cup of water, close the lid. Turn heat to high. Cook till the meat is soft
- It should be moist and not dry
- In another frying pan pour 2 tbsp of oil and add 1 tsp fennel powder and fry slightly
- Now Add the mutton and mix well to get all the juices in
- Turn the heat to low and fry mixing it often till the gravy forms.
- Serve hot with rice or chapatis
Tamil recipes mutton chops is an excellent side dish with rice and sambar, rice and rasam and curd rice, briyani, fried rice. Tamil mutton chops is made of rib bones. Our family concept of eating chops is to extract the meat around the rib bones and if tender bite and chew on the ribs too!
The lamb or goat mutton meat will make all the difference in taste and flavor for an Indian MUTTON CHOPS recipe. Try to get the goat meat from the halal or mexican shops (they call it chevo). It is commonly known as "Kosher" meat.Believe me,goat is the closest to Indian mutton you will ever come to in USA!