- Split black gram (urad dal)1 Cups
- Chopped onion1 Teaspoons
- Red Chili3 medium broken pieces
- Mustard seeds1/2 Tablespoons
- Tamarind paste1/2 Teaspoons
- Chopped cilantro1/4 Cups
- Asafoetida1/4 Teaspoons
- Oil2 Tablespoons
- SaltAs per taste
- Wash and soak the dal for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the soaked dal and fry till it browns lightly.
- Add the onion, asafoetida, tamarind, red chillies, mustard and salt and fry well till the mustard seeds pop for a few minutes. Cool and keep aside.
- Put the dal and onion mixture and the cilantro into a blender. Add 1/4 cup of water and grind to a coarse paste.
- Now pour the seasoning over the chutney. Mix well. Refrigerate and use as required