- Prawns/shrimp 2 to 4 cups depending on size of prawns
- Red chili powder2 Teaspoons
- Turmeric2 Teaspoons
- Sombu1 Tablespoons
- Ginger/garlic paste2 Tablespoons
- curry leaves a few
- Saltto taste
- Oil4 cups
- Waterto cook
- Clean the prawns well and peel the shell off. Marinate in red chili powder, ginger/garlic paste, salt and turmeric for about 15 minutes
- Pour oil in deep frying pan or wok and let it heat up in high
- Now add sombu and fry a bit with curry leaves. Add the prawns in smaller quantities depending upon the number of prawns and the size of your wok. Do not let them stick to one another.
- After about 5 minutes they should have become brown by now so turn the side and let the other side also become brown and crispy
- Serve as side dish for any meal or eat it as a snack or bites for drinks
Madurai Prawn Fry is a very easy Tamil Recipes but is an oil consuming (which also tastes super) affair. But nothing to beat this recipe for taste and pleasure of original prawns flavor. My mothers special from pasumalai, madurai.
I saw a you tube video of madras style fry you can watch that also here: