- Channa Dal1/2 cup
- Kudal (One intestine will have a small and a large intestine, turkey towel and one kutty pie)
- Turmeric powder1 Teaspoons
- Chili pdr1 Teaspoons
- Jeera (cumin) pdr2 Teaspoons
- coriander pdr1 Teaspoons
- Ginger-Garlic paste1 Tablespoons
- coconut ground, a big lime size.
- Small onions10
- curry leaves one prig
- cinnamon1 small 1 inch stick
- Fennel seeds (sombu)2 Teaspoons
- For one large intestine use 1/2 cup ( veesambadi) of Channa dal. Cook well ( malarnthirukanum ) the dal separately without salt or any masala.
- Cook the intestine in a pressure cooker for 15 to 20 mnts with salt,tumeric powder,chilli pdr,jeera pdr,little coriander pdr and a little ginger-garlic paste.
- Have the coconut ground, a big lime size.
- Saute / season small onions,curry leaves,cinnamon,cloves and sombu (sombu ) with one small tomato and a little more ginger- garlic paste.
- Add to the seasoning the cooked intestines and then the channa dal and while boiling add the ground coconut and bring down as thick gravy and not as watery curry or as desired.
This Attu Kudal Kulambu Tamil recipe from my mother needs a special trained tongue to enjoy and appreciate. Not every one likes this as it is not common to cook this delicacy. But it is healthy and is fantastic with white rice, idli and dosai