Kovakka Dondakaya(frozen or fresh)
As per taste
Water - for grinding
1 1/2 Tablespoons
- Curry leaves – 2 – 3 nos
- Cumin seeds(Jeerakam) – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly(Kollamulaku) – 1 nos
- Garlic pod – 1 nos
- Clean and chop the tindoora Dondakaya and keep aside.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a kadai.
- Add black gram, Bengal gram, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, slit green chillies, crushed garlic cloves and turmeric and saute for a minute.
- Add tindooraDondakaya and salt and stir well and cook it uncovered for 3 mins on high flame and then cover cook for 7 – 8 mins on medium flame until tender.
- Switch off the flame and let the vegetable cool for a while.
- Meanwhile extract the tamarind pulp for about 2 tsp.
- Grind the vegetable with tamarind extract and coriander leaves adding very little water.
- Add the seasoning of fried cumin seeds, red chillies, crushed garlic clove and curry leaves in 1/2 tbsp oil.
- I use Indian mixer grinder for this chutney. People in other countries who are using blenders have to grind daals, cumin, methi seeds first in coffee grinder and then blend it along with the vegetable in the blender. Or else the daals will not be blended in the blender.
- This recipe tastes good with hot rice and ghee.
- Adjust chillies, tamarind and salt as per your requirement.