- Rice (Raw rice)2 Cups
- grated Coconut1 Cups
- Waterto sprinkle
- SaltAs per taste
- Soak rice in water for 4 hrs, then drain it and grind it to make fine powder
- Heat the powder for 5 mts.While heating stir it. Keep it for cooling.
- Mix salt with water sprinkle this to the powdered rice just to make the powder wet.
- Place the powdered rice in a steam cooker. Close the lid steam it for 2 mts in cooker.
- Alternatively, for making kulai puttu special utensil is used named puttukutty or micro puttu. Put a handful of grated coconut in the puttukutty and then put rice powder till half then add another handful of grated coconut.
- Serve it hot with grated cocunut, sugar and ghee or with any gravy/curry
The traditional puttu is a steamed rice cake which is a favourite breakfast of most Tamils and Malayalees. It is normally served with cocunut flakes, sugar and ghee. It can also be eaten with any curry