- Boneless Mutton2 lbs
- Potato1 lbs
- Onions3 medium finely chopped
- Tomato1 medium finely chopped
- chili powder1 Tablespoons
- red chili2 med pieces
- cumin powder3 Tablespoons
- Turmeric powder1 Tablespoons
- Fennel powder1 Tablespoons
- Oil3 Tablespoons
- Salt1 Tablespoons
- Cut mutton in small pieces. Peel the potatoes into small pieces (1 inch cubes). Wash and drain them. In a pressure cooker, cook them together. After the first whistle wait for five minutes and turn the heat off
- Wait for a few minutes for the heat to cool off from the cooker. Seperate the mutton only and add cumin powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, garlic/ginger paste and salt. Rub it into the meat and mix well, leave it to marinate for about an hour.
- Pour oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add fennel powder and the sliced tomatoes and fry well
- Now add 2 red chilis broken and onions sliced and fry together
- Now add the potatoes and fry them in medium heat lighlty, before adding the marinated mutton. Now add the mutton to the pan with all the above and fry well on low heat. It should be dry fry and not wet fry. The non-stick pan will help in not burning it. Stir it often especially towards the end.
- Always serve this gravy hot!
Tamil Recipes Kari Urulakilangu Poriyal is based on red chili, onions and cumin. The color will be dark brown, pretty much like fry but the taste is different. It has less traditional curry taste but potato adds a delicious flavor. And is good with sambar rice, rasam, briyani, fried rice and of course just as plain eats!