Kathirikkai Poriyal Recipe
3 cups brinjal, cubed
2 medium onions, finely sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt, to taste
For Spice Powder
2 tsp + 2 tsp oil
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida / hing
2 – 3 dry red chillies
2 tsp urad dal
2 tbsp grated coconut
A small marble-sized ball of tamarind
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 dry red chilly, halved
1 sprig curry leaves
How I Made It:
1. Heat 2 tsp oil for spice powder in a pan over moderate heat. Add coriander seeds, hing, red chillies and urad dal. Fry till spices are fragrant and the dal turns golden. Remove and set aside to cool. Watch Full Movie Online Streaming Online and Download
2. Add 2 tsp oil to same pan and heat through. Add coconut and fry over low heat until golden brown.
3. Combine coconut and the fried spices, tamarind and salt and grind to a fine powder.
4. Heat oil for tempering in the same pan as above and add the ingredients for tempering. When the mustard seeds start to pop, add onions and saute for 1-2 mins.
5. Add the brinjal, turmeric, salt and 1/4 cup water. Lower heat, cover pan and simmer for about 10 mins till brinjal is tender and all water is absorbed.
6. Sprinkle the spice powder to the cooked brinjal and stir gently to combine well. Serve hot with steamed rice or roti.
I sometimes make extra poriyal spice powder and store it in an airtight container in the fridge (since it has coconut). If you use it within two weeks, the flavour will still be intact. This is in case you get sick of the roasting and grinding each time 🙂
source:Kathirikkai Poriyal Recipe